NO TO THE AMERICAN HEALTH CARE ACT
May 08, 2017
NYLAG vehemently opposes the passage by the U.S. House of Representatives last week of the American Health Care Act. The bill will not improve health outcomes for the majority of Americans and works against the basic principles of social justice by penalizing the most vulnerable among us for medical conditions or life circumstances over which they have no control.
The bill would be catastrophic for virtually every low-income client we serve, including:
- Children with special needs who are eligible for education services in schools
- Survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking, sexual assault and other forms of gender-based violence
- People with mental health diagnoses, including survivors of trauma suffering from PTSD or depression
- The working poor who rely on subsidies from the government to access affordable health care plans
- The elderly and those with disabilities who depend on home health services to remain in their homes and out of nursing homes
The NYLAG community was stunned and dismayed by the passage of this bill. We will channel our opposition into continued advocacy on behalf of our clients as the bill heads to the Senate.