On Tuesday, October 29, 2013, the one-year anniversary of Superstorm Sandy, NYLAG honored the individuals, firms and agencies that supported our community in a time of crisis. The event, Superstorm Sandy: One Year Commemoration Pro Bono Awards Reception, recognized the extraordinary contributions of the New York legal community.
Click here to view/ download NYLAG’s printable Superstorm Sandy 1 Year Report.
Those seeking immediate assistance with legal issues can call our hotline at
212-584-3365 or email us at StormHelp@nylag.org.
Launched in the immediate aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, NYLAG’s Storm Response Unit provides comprehensive legal services to help victims of the storm deal with a range of legal issues, including:
- Filing for FEMA and other disaster program benefits
- Appealing denied claims
- Documenting damage to homes and small businesses
- Disputing FEMA recoupment letters: Click here to view/ download a printable flyer with more information.
- Eligibility for housing vouchers
- Landlord/tenant disputes
- Wrongful evictions
- Mortgage issues for affected homes, including foreclosure
- Real Property
Homeowner’s and Flood Insurance Issues
- Obtaining increase in insurance proceeds
- Challenging coverage denials
- Insurance mediation: Click here to view/ download a printable flyer with more information.
- Bankruptcies and credit problems
- Contractor and other disaster-related frauds
- Financial and debt counseling
The Storm Response Unit continues to work within the communities in New York City and Long Island most affected by Superstorm Sandy. These sites include the community-based organizations, courts, hospitals and other agencies with which we have existing intake sites and long-standing partnerships. Please see the calendar below for updates on locations.
NYLAG’s Mobile Legal Help Center travels to hard-hit neighborhoods across the city, in particular Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Long Island, where the devastation has been most profound and those in need are isolated and unable to travel.
Watch NYLAG’s Probono trainings on the web at probono.net/nylagstormrelief.
To volunteer to provide pro bono legal assistance, please email email@example.com and check the calendar below for updates.
- Download the printable NYLAG Storm Help Flyer in English.
- Download the printable NYLAG Storm Help Flyer Espanol in Spanish.
- Download the printable NYLAG Storm Help Flyer Russian in Russian (помощ в связи со штормом).
- Immigrant Eligibility for Disaster Benefits flyer in English
- Immigrant Eligibility for Disaster Benefits Espanol in Spanish
NYLAG is a beneficiary of UJA-Federation’s Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund. To make a donation to the Fund go to Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund.