In times of crisis, act
RESPONDING TO COVID-19: NYLAG ANNUAL REPORT 2020
“I never thought in my lifetime that I would need legal advice and not have the funds to pay for it myself. When this COVID-19 nightmare began and I lost my job, I was panic-stricken. A friend referred me to NYLAG and since our first session, you have been my angel.”
COVID-19 CHANGED OUR WORLD.
NYLAG QUICKLY RESPONDED WITH CRITICAL SERVICES.
adults and children impacted by NYLAG’s services in FY20
tenants represented by NYLAG who were facing eviction, displacement, and homelessness
family offense petitions filed by NYLAG during COVID-19 for domestic violence survivors.
public benefits cases handled so seniors, families, and children could access food and resources to survive
- Created online COVID-19 resource center
- Filed federal habeas lawsuits for immigrant detainees infected with COVID-19
- Drafted an Executive Order (EO) to ensure frontline hospital workers may designate a standby guardian for their child
- Played critical role in new EO that temporarily allowed remote witnessing of health care proxies
- Got DHS to move vulnerable adults in shelter to isolation beds as a proactive measure
- Advocated successfully for new law that prevents unpaid rent that accrued during COVID from being the basis for an eviction
- Operated a dedicated legal hotline for patients in hospitals
- Launched the NY COVID-19 Legal Resource Hotline for NYC residents
people helped by NYLAG’s NY COVID-19 Legal Resource Hotline and a dedicated hotline for patients in hospitals and medical facilities (March-Sept 2020)
"They are at the end of their rope, but we’re able to offer hope."
- Sirrah Harris, Supervising Attorney in charge of the NY COVID-19 Legal Resource Hotline
Your donation in action
Hospitals and Corporation
Court Awarded & Earned Fees
Recovery of Funds
Total Revenue Before In-Kind Legal Services
Total Expenses Before In-Kind Legal Services