Defending victims of abusive and deceptive lending and debt collection practices to ensure future financial stability.
NYLAG’s consumer protection and foreclosure prevention attorneys work to eradicate abusive debt collection practices, lending violations, and fraud that create barriers to education, job mobility, stable housing, and, in some cases, safety for our clients. Our work promotes the long-term financial security of families with low incomes and aims to stop the cycle of debt and poverty.
saved in consumer cases last year
Our advocacy helps individuals and families achieve long-term financial security. Here are some of the legal issues our lawyers can address:
- Defending clients in credit card, student loan, auto lending, medical, and student loan debt proceedings
- Advocating for victims of debt and loan scams
- Fighting against unjust foreclosure and lending practices
- Assisting clients in filing for a Chapter 7 consumer bankruptcy discharge
- Bringing impact cases to stop predatory debt collection and consumer fraud
Need free legal services or financial counseling?
Help us provide free legal services to people with low incomes in need of a lawyer.
NYLAG’s Noelle Eberts spoke to Prism about the increase in deed theft and real estate scams against Black and brown homeowners in rapidly gentrifying neighborhoods.
NYLAG’s Julie Howe spoke to New York Focus about how clients have been impacted by a New York Court of Appeals decision that reopened hundreds of foreclosure cases that homeowners thought they had won.
You have the right to apply to have your federal student loans forgiven if your school misled you or lied to you. Learn more and view the guide we created to assist you in applying.