Standing up for workers’ rights.
We support workers who earn low wages in asserting their rights to unpaid wages and equality at work.
For workers earning low incomes, abuse of employment rights can be disastrous, creating a crisis that has ripple effects throughout their lives. They are particularly vulnerable to exploitation because they lack a safety net. Wage theft or job loss can quickly lead to debt, food insecurity, or loss of housing. All too often, workers do not come forward for fear of retaliation, or because they are not sure where to go for help.
won for an employee who was terminated for taking sick leave
Our lawyers represent workers facing wage theft, discrimination, retaliation, and other unfair treatment by their employers. NYLAG’s lawyers can help in the following ways:
- Representing workers with employment discrimination based on race, gender, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, and other protected classes
- Helping workers combat sexual harassment and abuse in the workplace
- Protecting workers’ rights to take Family Medical Leave, Paid Family Leave, and Paid Sick Leave
- Negotiating with employers to provide reasonable accommodations based on disability, pregnancy, and religion
- Representing workers who have been retaliated against for asserting their rights on the job
- Recovering unpaid wages
- Contesting unfair denial of unemployment insurance benefits
Need free legal services or financial counseling?
Help us provide free legal services to workers.
NYLAG is part of the solution to combating workplace abuse and exploitation:
We are proud to announce Sirrah Harris as our first-ever director of outreach and access to justice! Learn more about Sirrah’s impactful seven-year tenure at NYLAG and how her new role will advance our mission.
After an extensive search, NYLAG has named Amira Samuel as director of Pro Bono & Volunteers.
President Biden recently signed the $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package into law. Find out if any of these seven benefits from the relief bill affect you or your loved ones.