Financial Empowerment & Advocacy
During a financial crisis, it can feel like there’s no way out. We can help.
Stagnated wages, ever-changing income and expenses, predatory lenders, increasing living expenses–All of these dynamics harm the financial security of many New Yorkers.
When these financial challenges are present, there is a limited amount of income available to pay bills (i.e. rent, hospital bills, medication expenses, child-care, etc.), put into savings, or to get food on the table. An unexpected expense or a small reduction in income can quickly become a financial crisis. Our financial empowerment services can help.
point average credit score increase
saved and/or debt eliminated
Services & Advocacy
NYLAG’s financial counselors & coaches help clients navigate through financial crises and build long-term financial stability. Our counselors can help in the following ways:
- Work with clients on managing, prioritizing, and paying down debt
- Help clients create and maintain a budget, establish a savings plan, deal with income and expense volatility, and commit to a goal
- Establish credit scores and improving credit reports
- Provide general information on taxes, insurance, and public benefits
- Deliver workshops and technical assistance to organizations and communities
- Identify and educate stakeholders on the systemic and structural obstacles contributing to the financial instability of people experiencing poverty or with low-income
- Push for changes to the local and federal systems causing harm to these communities
Sign up for free financial resources and tips.
Need financial counseling?
Help us provide free financial empowerment & advocacy.
NYLAG is part of the solution to financial crises in communities in New York:
Four Tips to Overcome Financial Stress
NYLAG Financial Counselor Peterson DeCoteau and Gwen Hartstein share different ways to handle the mental health challenges that come with financial stress.
Three Steps You Can Take Now To Secure Your Financial Future
NYLAG Financial Counselor Henry Orbe shares some easy-to-follow steps to increase your financial literacy, change your financial habits, and be more financially secure.
Take Control of Your Credit with These Four Simple Steps
Building a credit history and maintaining a healthy credit score is beneficial for many reasons. NYLAG Financial Counselor Ivan Gonzalez shares four easy ways you can start taking control of your credit.