An elder woman sitting in bed looking out of the window.

Your Rights as a Tenant During COVID-19— Protections Against Eviction

There is an important upcoming deadline relevant to tenants’ rights that you should know about. New York tenants experiencing financial hardship have until February 26th, 2021 to fill out a Hardship Declaration and submit it to their landlord or the Housing Court. Doing so will only take tenants only a few minutes, but will provide added protection for tenants against evictions until May 2021.

On February 16th, 2021, NYLAG held a live Q&A that explained the importance of and the process to submit hardship declaration applications and answered common questions on issues tenants are facing during the pandemic. Watch the pre-recorded video and/or read the answers to the frequently asked questions from the Q&A session below. 

Foire aux questions (FAQ):

With the passage of the COVID-19 Emergency Eviction and Foreclosure Protection Act (“EEFPA”), Governor Cuomo’s executive order eviction moratorium is no longer in effect. Instead, on December 28, 2020, the legislature passed EEFPA, which Cuomo signed immediately. This law puts into effect a stay on almost all eviction cases until February 26, 2021. If tenants provide the court or their landlord with a Hardship Declaration, the stay will be extended from February 26, 2021 to May 1, 2021.

Yes. EEFPA is clear that the moratorium would be extended by changes in federal law and the state legislature could also vote to extend the stay in EEFPA on its own. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently extended the eviction moratorium nationwide until March 31, 2021. However, it’s not entirely clear at this time that the federal eviction moratorium will be extended to September 2021. Because the NYS eviction moratorium is now more protective than the federal one, the federal moratorium does not apply.

At the very beginning of the Biden administration, there was talk about the federal eviction moratorium being extended by Congress legislatively until September 2021 as part of the $1.9 trillion COVID relief package. Lately, it seems like the relief package will only be able to pass Congress through a complicated legislative budgetary procedure called reconciliation. Because the eviction moratorium likely wouldn’t be considered budgetary in nature, it’s unlikely that the extension of the eviction moratorium on the federal level could become law through reconciliation. Consequently, under current Senate rules, which include the filibuster, it would likely require 60 votes in the Senate for an extension of the eviction moratorium to become law nationally.

It’s possible the CDC could extend its eviction moratorium beyond March 31, 2021 and it’s also possible that federal Senate Democrats may reform the filibuster to allow them to pass federal laws more easily. It’s also possible the New York legislature may extend the EEFPA eviction moratorium protection to last longer, but everything related to the New York eviction moratorium after May 1, 2021 remains quite uncertain at this time.

For the vast majority of New York tenants facing hardship since March 7, 2020, there are very few, if any, negative consequences to submitting a hardship declaration. Generally speaking, if someone might be eligible to sign a Hardship Declaration, but has sufficient money to resolve a case with their landlord at this time, it’s probably better to do so than to seek a delay, but those in this situation can still submit a Hardship Declaration as insurance of extra protections and still proceed to resolve issues with their landlord on a parallel track.

The main negative consequence would be for the very narrow subset of tenants who are eligible for the special subsidy called the Family Homelessness Eviction Protection Supplement (FHEPS). Generally speaking, a household is only eligible for FHEPS if they are currently receiving Public Assistance benefits, have minor children in the household, have an active eviction case in court, have rent arrears less than $9,000, and rent an apartment that falls within the FHEPS rental limit guidelines. For tenants who are eligible for FHEPS, it is likely not advisable to do anything to stop your landlord from filing a Housing Court case if they haven’t already. We also don’t advise you to do anything to delay your Housing Court case because you want to do everything in your power to keep your rental arrears as low as possible—delaying your case will lead to your rent arrears increasing. Once a family begins receiving FHEPS, FHEPS will cover the rent arrears and most of the family’s ongoing rent.

There may be other specific issues related to individual tenants. If you have any doubts about whether you should complete a Hardship Declaration, you should try and speak to a lawyer as soon as you can so you can get advice specific to your situation. You can call our hotline à 929-356-9582 7 am-1 pm, Monday-Friday. 

It’s important to note that tenants should only complete the Hardship Declaration if they can do so truthfully.

Yes. EEFPA does have an exception, which allows for eviction cases to proceed only in cases where a tenant is “engaging in behavior that substantially infringes the use and enjoyment of other tenants or occupants or causes a substantial safety hazard to others.” The court system and landlords’ attorneys have been referring to these as “nuisance cases,” but that’s not completely accurate under the language of EEFPA. In fact, the Housing Court in New York City has created a special Nuisance Part to handle these cases that may be exempt from the stay required by EEFPA. Any tenant who has a case in the Nuisance Part should definitely appear at the scheduled virtual appearance. At the virtual appearance, tenants will have the opportunity to retain a lawyer to represent them for free through NYC’s Right to Counsel law. Tenants should always be represented in eviction cases, especially cases where a landlord alleges nuisance behavior.  

Tout d'abord, rappelez-vous qu'un propriétaire ne peut pas vous expulser sans d'abord vous traduire en justice. Cela signifie qu'avant de perdre votre maison, votre propriétaire doit suivre les étapes suivantes:

  • Votre propriétaire doit vous envoyer une demande de loyer officielle pour le paiement de tout loyer dû. Les propriétaires doivent vous donner au moins 14 jours pour payer la dette alléguée avant de pouvoir vous poursuivre en justice.
  • Si vous n'avez pas payé l'arriéré de loyer à la date indiquée sur la demande de loyer, le propriétaire peut intenter une action en non-paiement contre vous devant le tribunal du logement.
  • Courts are now generally closed to new filings because of EEFPA until February 26, 2021 and you can keep courts closed to your case by sending a Hardship Declaration to the court or your landlord, or both. If you are served with a non-payment case at any time, you should always try to answer, which you can do by phone. You can read more about how to answer on the court’s website ici.
  • Vous ne devriez pas quitter votre logement simplement parce que votre propriétaire vous menace ou vous envoie des avis disant qu'il va vous expulser. Légalement seulement le maréchal peut vous expulser.

Si vous n'avez pas l'argent pour rembourser votre loyer, il existe des offres uniques, des subventions au loyer et des organisations caritatives qui peuvent vous aider. Cliquez sur ici pour apprendre plus.

En juin, la législature a passé et le gouverneur Cuomo a signé la loi sur la protection des locataires, qui estune loi qui empêche les locataires qui ont connu des difficultés financières pendant la période COVID-19 d'être expulsés pour non-paiement d'un loyer devenu exigible pendant la période du 7 mars 2020 jusqu'à la fin de l'état d'urgence. Cependant, les propriétaires peuvent toujours obtenir des jugements pécuniaires contre leurs locataires pour tout loyer impayé de cette période.Il y a eu une poignée de décisions du tribunal du logement concernant la nouvelle loi, mais la loi est encore en développement. Nous ne savons pas non plus quand la période COVID-19 se terminera. Différents juges auront une compréhension différente de ce que les locataires doivent établir pour démontrer qu'ils ont connu des difficultés financières pendant la période COVID-19, nous vous encourageons donc à conserver tous les documents que vous pourriez avoir qui montreraient que vous avez connu des difficultés financières pendant la période COVID-19. Période COVID-19.

Il convient de mentionner que les jugements d’argent dans l’État de New York ne sont pas du «gâteau». Une fois qu'un propriétaire a un jugement pécuniaire, le propriétaire peut appliquer ce jugement pécuniaire en saisissant les salaires et en bloquant les comptes bancaires si le montant du compte dépasse $2,850 ou $3,600 selon votre situation spécifique. Plus d'informations sur la protection des comptes bancaires à New York sont disponiblesici. Les jugements monétaires restent recouvrables pendant 20 ans et peuvent augmenter car il existe un taux d'intérêt de jugement 9% à New York.

Vous avez peut-être reçu ou pourriez recevoir bientôt une motion de l'avocat de votre propriétaire pour rétablir le dossier dans le calendrier afin que le propriétaire puisse vous expulser.

Si vous recevez une telle motion, vous devez contacter notre hotline pour voir si nous pouvons vous représenter. Cliquez sur ici pour discuter de votre situation spécifique.

Just because you received this motion doesn’t mean you’re being evicted immediately and there’s a good chance that you might be able to delay your case by filing a Hardship Declaration. You also have a right to oppose the motion. And, remember that before you can be evicted, your need to be served with a marshal’s notice of eviction, and the marshal has to come to your home to evict you. That’s why it’s important for you to reach out to a lawyer if you receive one of these motions because there may be things a lawyer can do to delay and maybe even prevent the eviction. Everyone’s case is different, so it’s definitely a good idea to speak to a lawyer about your specific situation and what legal options may be available to you.

Une grève des loyers peut être un excellent moyen pour vous et vos voisins de vous regrouper si vous ne pouvez pas déjà payer votre loyer. Si vous ne pouvez pas payer le loyer en tant qu'individu et que beaucoup d'autres personnes dans votre immeuble sont dans le même bateau, l'organisation d'une grève du loyer peut vous donner un effet de levier contre votre propriétaire.

Mais les grèves de loyer peuvent être risquées, en particulier pour les locataires sans papiers. Avant de frapper, vous devriez parler à un organisateur de locataires expérimenté. La Coalition pour le droit à l'avocat dispose de ressources pour les personnes qui envisagent des grèves de loyer. Vous pouvez les trouver sur righttocounselnyc.org, ou Google "Rent Strike Toolkit", ou accédez à bit.ly/RentStrikeNY, ou envoyez (n'appelez pas) les mots «Grève du loyer» ou «Huelga De Renta» à 646-542-1920.

Because of EEFPA, Housing Court is now generally closed to almost everything against tenants until February 26, 2021 to give tenants a chance to file Hardship Declarations, which can keep Housing Court closed to those cases until May 1, 2021. Even with EEFPA, Housing Court is still open to a small number of cases in the “Nuisance” Part.

Starting March 1, 2021, it’s likely that Housing Court will begin scheduling cases for virtual appearances for those tenants with existing cases where the tenant has not filed a Hardship Declaration. Those cases will likely be able to move forward. However, if the tenant appears, is eligible to sign a Hardship Declaration, and files a Hardship Declaration, that will put the case on hold until May 1, 2021. Almost everything is still proceeding at a slower pace than before COVID-19. If you already have an attorney in your Housing Court case, we encourage you to reach out to them for more details. If you do not have an attorney and you have an ongoing court case, you will receive a postcard in the mail from the court with your next court date, but it’s hard to say when that might happen. It’s also hard to say what will happen with New York’s eviction moratorium after May 1, 2021.

Remember: You can only be evicted from your home if your landlord starts a case in Housing Court, obtains a judgment of eviction against you, you are served with a marshal’s notice, and the marshal comes to your home to evict you.

De manière générale, selon la loi de New York, seuls les locataires dont le loyer est stabilisé ont droit à un bail renouvelé. Même si vous n'avez pas de bail à loyer stabilisé, il est possible que vous soyez un locataire à loyer stabilisé si vous vivez dans un immeuble construit avant 1974 qui compte six logements ou plus, même si certaines de ces logements ne le sont pas. être des unités légales. Si vous n'êtes pas un locataire dont le loyer est stabilisé, il est peu probable que vous ayez droit à un bail renouvelé et à la fin de votre bail, votre propriétaire pourrait choisir de ne pas renouveler votre bail, puis intenter une action en cas de prolongation contre vous devant le tribunal du logement. après vous avoir donné un préavis approprié. Le délai de préavis auquel vous avez légalement droit est d'au moins 30 jours si vous y habitez depuis moins d'un an, d'au moins 60 jours entre un an et moins de deux ans et d'au moins 90 jours si vous y a vécu pendant deux ans ou plus. Ces différentes périodes de préavis ne sont devenues loi qu'en juin 2019 et les propriétaires les gâchent souvent, ce qui peut vous donner certains moyens de défense dans une procédure d'attente si un propriétaire ne vous signale pas le préavis approprié avant d'entamer son action contre vous.

Si vous avez été expulsé après le 16 mars 2020 et que vous n'avez pas reçu d'avis de commissaire avant votre expulsion, il est probable que votre expulsion était illégale et vous pouvez engager une procédure de lock-out illégal devant le tribunal du logement de l'arrondissement où vous résidiez. revenir dans votre maison (être restauré en possession).

Si vous pensez avoir été illégalement mis en lock-out, vous pouvez nous appeler. Nous vous donnerons le numéro à la fin. Ou vous pouvez vous adresser au tribunal du logement de l'arrondissement dans lequel vous avez vécu pour intenter vous-même une procédure de lock-out illégal.

Oui. Si vous avez des réparations nécessaires pour votre appartement et que votre propriétaire refuse d'y répondre malgré vos demandes répétées, vous pouvez intenter une action HP contre votre propriétaire devant le tribunal du logement pour que votre propriétaire fasse les réparations. Vous pouvez le faire en personne au tribunal du logement de l'arrondissement dans lequel vous habitez ou utilisez JustFix, une application en ligne, disponible ici.

Vous pouvez également utiliser JustFix pour lancer une affaire HP Action si vous êtes harcelé par votre propriétaire.

Oui, NYLAG serait heureux d'en savoir plus pour voir si nous pouvons vous aider. Appelez notre hotline gratuite NY COVID-19 Legal Resource au 929-356-9582 et nous vous recontacterons. En savoir plus sur nylag.org/hotline.

To receive the latest resources and to stay updated on NYLAG’s tenants’ rights advocacy (and other social issues), subscribe to our newsletter ici

Pour plus d'informations sur les droits des locataires et les dernières ressources pour COVID-19, cliquez sur ici

Partager cette publication

Articles Liés

NYCHA’s Section 8 logjam continues on for too many

An error in NYCHA’s case management system that wrongfully terminated tenants’ Section 8 vouchers continues to leave tens of thousands in jeopardy. In this follow up article on the issue, NYLAG attorney Anna Luft offered further commentary on the struggle that tenants face in accessing key information from NYCHA’s customer centers.

Lire la suite "

Voucher Holders Navigate Through Red Tape

A failure in NYCHA’s case management system caused thousands of tenants with Section 8 vouchers to be mislabeled as delinquent on their annual recertifications. NYLAG attorney Anna Luft spoke to The Riverdale Press about the issue and NYLAG’s swift action urging the agency to immediately suspend the terminations.

Lire la suite "
Retour haut de page