intimate partner violence
Intimate partner violence is a pervasive issue, and help is available.
The effects of intimate partner violence are long-lasting, affecting many aspects of a survivor’s life. This includes their physical safety, economic stability, housing, and health. Intimate partner violence can also have profound effects on children, who have often witnessed the violence. Access to trauma-informed, client-centered representation is crucial for our clients’ paths towards self-determination, safety, and security.
survivors of intimate partner violence supported by NYLAG through safety planning, orders of protection, divorce and custody cases, and more
Our team helps survivors to regain their autonomy and enforce their legal rights. We stand with survivors in court, fighting for their safety so that they can rebuild and live a life free of violence. NYLAG’s lawyers can help in the following ways:
- Obtaining and enforcing orders of protection
- Representing clients in contested and uncontested divorce proceedings
- Advocating for a fair and just division of assets and financial support
- Securing or maintaining custody/visitation of their children
- Securing safe visitation orders
- Helping in safety planning
- Obtaining and enforcing orders for child and spousal support
- Assisting in child protection cases to keep children safe
- Representing survivors on appeals involving family and divorce matters
- Defending against abusive tactics, such as false arrests and false filings
- Working with immigrant survivors to secure legal status
Need free legal services or financial counseling?
Help us provide free legal services to survivors of intimate partner violence.
NYLAG is part of the solution for New Yorkers.
Despite an increased demand in legal services with appropriate expertise for recently arrived immigrants, the city recently announced budget cuts to the Rapid Response Legal Collective—which NYLAG is a part of—for the next fiscal year. NYLAG’s Jodi Ziesemer spoke with CityLimits about the ramifications of this decision.