LGBTQ Law Project
Fighting for the rights of LGBTQ communities.
We envision a world where all people, regardless of sexual or gender identity, have access to legal protections under the law, dignified work, adequate housing and health care, the right to create families, and the ability to live fulfilling lives. Toward that end, we provide legal services to LGBTQ communities to meet the unique legal needs of queer individuals.
LGBTQ clients worked with NYLAG on legal issues ranging from name changes to estate planning last year
Our attorneys fight for LGBTQ rights. We offer the following legal services:
- Working with LGBTQ clients on immigration cases
- Fighting employment and housing discrimination
- Helping with name and gender marker changes
- Assisting with adoptions, uncontested divorces, orders of protection, and custody
- Advocating for LGBTQ students
- Ensuring that LGBTQ seniors control their future with advance directives
Need free legal services or financial counseling?
Help us provide free legal help to LGBTQ communities.
The Latest on LGBTQ Law
NYLAG co-drafted, along with several LGBTQ+ advocates, the Gender Recognition Act. The act makes it easier for LGBTQ+ people to update and obtain government-issued IDs that accurately reflect their gender identity.
We are proud to announce Sirrah Harris as our first-ever director of outreach and access to justice! Learn more about Sirrah’s impactful seven-year tenure at NYLAG and how her new role will advance our mission.
After an extensive search, NYLAG has named Amira Samuel as director of Pro Bono & Volunteers.