LegalHealth, a division of NYLAG has partnered with medical professionals to address the nonmedical needs of low-income individuals with serious health problems since 2001. LegalHealth complements healthcare with legal care ”” providing free legal services in medical facilities and training healthcare professionals to understand the legal issues faced by their patients. LegalHealth also extends its mission nationally by providing technical assistance that brings medical and legal partners together.
Every week, attorneys bring the law office into the hospital where they provide advice and direct representation for patients.
- Secure government benefits
- Fix housing problems
- Address credit issues
- Handle immigration matters
- Access special education services
- Plan ahead (e.g. will, healthcare proxy, power of attorney, and guardianship)
- Solve insurance disputes
- Negotiate workplace accommodations
Attorneys deliver onsite training to help healthcare providers understand their role in addressing patients’ non-medical needs.
- Bringing Advocacy to your Practice
- Forms 101: Completing the Forms Your Patients Bring You
- Improving Your Patients’ Housing
- Understanding Your Patients’ Immigration Concerns
- Advance Planning and End-of-Life Decision Making
- Minors’ Right to Consent to Care
- Advocating for the Child with Special Needs
- Your Patient in the Workplace
- Geriatricians Guide to Confronting Elder Abuse
LegalHealth attorneys are also available for consultations as the issues arise.
For more information, visit the LegalHealth website at www.legalhealth.org.