NYC buildings

Evictions and COVID-19 in NY: What You Should Know

*This post was last updated on June 7, 2021.

住房是医疗保健。 As we all endure the  COVID-19 public health crisis, it is critical that no one is kicked out of their home.  Below, we put together the most accurate information and resources to aid you and your loved ones in navigating eviction questions during these stressful times.

For assistance on case-specific issues, call our free NY COVID-19 Legal Resource Hotline at 929-356-9582 或访问 nylag.org/hotline.



We understand that many New Yorkers are anxious about their ability to pay back-rent. Please know there are billions of dollars of rent relief for tenants nationwide.

The Emergency Rental Assistance Program (“ERAP”) opened to applications on June 1, 2021. You need to apply online through this portal. You should apply if you have experienced financial hardship during the pandemic and have any rent arrears from March 13, 2020 and on. The program covers up to 12 months of back rent and three months of ongoing rent. Immigration status does not matter and the money does not need to be paid. If you back rent and are behind on your gas and/or electric bill, ERAP will also cover your utility arrears. There are many organizations that are assisting people to complete applications. You can find a list of these organizations 这里. The application consists of two main parts:

  1. Using an online form you input information input about yourself, the financial hardship you faced because of COVID-19, the people in your household, your income, information about your lease and the back rent that you owe, your utility arrears if you have any, and any prior rental assistance you might have received.
  2. After you submit that online form, you have to upload a number of documents to show the following: (a) the identity of each member of your household, (b) your address, (c) the income of all the people in your household, (d) a document showing what your monthly rent is, (e) documents relating to utility arrears if you’re applying for utility arrears. You can find a list of these documents 这里.

To be approved for assistance, you need to complete both parts of the application. Some may find the document upload process challenging. If you have any problems you should definitely reach out for assistance. Once your application, if you have a case in Housing Court, your case in Housing Court will be stayed pending a determination of your eligibility for the program. If you’re found eligible, the money will be sent directly to your landlord via direct deposit.

The Eviction Moratorium is in effect until August 31, 2021

  • On May 4, 2021, New York state passed a law extending the eviction moratorium from May 1, 2021 to August 31, 2021!
  • To be protected by the eviction moratorium, New Yorkers who have experienced hardship during the COVID-19 period must submit a Hardship Declaration (if you haven’t already) to the Court or their landlord to stay an eviction—or even the filing of an eviction case—until August 31, 2021. 
  • Once a tenant signs the hardship declaration and gives it to their landlord or the Housing Court, any existing eviction case is stayed until August 31, 2021. That means nothing can happen in the case until August 31, 2021. A hardship declaration is a form published by the state court system in which a tenant makes a sworn statement by checking a box on the form that they:
      1. have experienced financial hardship during the COVID-19 pandemic.
      2. and/or if the tenant had to leave their home now, it would pose a significant health risk because the tenant or one or more members of the tenant’s household have an increased risk for severe illness or death from COVID-19 due to being over the age of 65, having a disability, or having an underlying medical condition.
  • If your landlord has not already sued you in Housing Court and you give your landlord the hardship declaration, the landlord can’t start any case in Housing Court until August 31, 2021.
  • The landlord can still send rent demands.  Landlords can still send you letters and rent demands for any rent they claim you owe during this time.  However, those rent demands must now come with the hardship declaration. If you provide the hardship declaration to your landlord or the court, that will stop your landlord from starting its case in court until August 31, 2021.
  • 目前,您仍然有义务支付租金。 However, as a result of the Tenant Safe Harbor Act, which became law in the summer of 2020, you cannot be evicted for any rent that became due after March 7, 2020, if you experienced financial hardship after March 7, 2020. But your landlord will still be able to sue you in Housing Court for unpaid rent and get a money judgment. Landlords won’t be able to evict you for post-March 7, 2020 rent that you owe until all parts of the state of emergency are lifted, which will likely not be for several months and possibly longer.
  • If you entered into an agreement in court prior to the moratorium that required you to pay rent by a certain date and you can no longer make that payment, your landlord cannot call the marshal/sheriff/law enforcement agency to evict you until February 25, 2021, and a status conference is held. That stay of eviction can be extended to August 31, 2021 if you give your landlord or the court the hardship declaration.

 Other Housing Court Matters

  • 房屋法庭向住户开放提起诉讼 例如房东的非法停工,公寓维修以及处理严重维修命令的申请。您可以找到有关如何提交此类案件的更多信息。 这里.
  • 所有待解决的房屋法院案件仍被推迟。 不出现。新的出现日期将直接发送给您。
  • Landlords can file new cases. But when a landlord starts a new case, they must provide proof that they served you with the hardship declaration before they started the case. If you receive a hardship declaration from your landlord, sign it, and return it to your landlord (or the court), the landlord can’t start the case against you or move forward with a case until August 31, 2021.
  • There is a limited exception. Landlords can start new cases and not be stopped by the new law, but only if a tenant, “is persistently and unreasonably engaging in behavior that substantially infringes on the use and enjoyment of other tenants or occupants or causes a substantial safety hazard to others, provided.” The law also has a number of safeguards built in to prevent landlords from abusing this limited exception to do an end run around the law.
  • 如果您从房东,其律师或房屋法院收到任何法律文件,请不要忽略它。 请通过以下方式联系NYLAG的NY COVID-19法律资源热线 (929) 356-9582 要么 线上,或位于 (718) 557-1379civiljustice@hra.nyc.gov,或访问他们的 网站.
  • 非法停工 如果您是纽约市的房客,则可以在急诊室提起诉讼,然后放回您的单位。法院和纽约市将所有驱逐后和非法停工案件移交给法律咨询权的法律服务组织,无论您身在何处或您的收入如何。
  • 当公寓有危险或非法时,仍会发出空缺命令,只有城市机构才能发出。 业主没有法律授权直接发出空置命令。在这次危机期间,我们希望撤消订单的情况很少,这是对真正危险情况的响应或火灾的结果。发出空置命令后,租户有权使用市政府机构提供的搬迁服务。在危机期间,搬迁服务保持开放。


  • 第8节代金券: 虽然HPD第8节客户服务办公室不对公众开放,但HPD第8节客户团队仍然对公众开放。由于收入下降而面临租金困难的凭单持有人应发送电子邮件 DTRAI@hpd.nyc.gov 或传真至212-863-5299。
  • 在此期间,任何设置为过期的HPD第8节凭证都将自动更新。客户不需要联系HPD进行扩展。 
  • 在此过程中,所有补贴终止都将暂停,直到另行通知。所有租户会议和简报会均已推迟,将重新安排。所有上诉听证会均被取消,直至另行通知。 HPD将继续支付补贴,直到做出最终决定。
  • NYCHA减租:根据以下内容,家庭可能有资格获得NYCHA租金减免 租金困难。 NYCHA简化了其“租金困难政策”,以便在COVID-19危机期间更轻松地减少NYCHA的租金。
  • 如果某人的工作时间被削减或因工作而失业,NYCHA会通过临时重新认证接受申请。
  • 现在,家庭可以通过新的简化版提交收入变动临时重新认证 自助服务门户 interface
  • 没有等待期可以申请。
  • 在另行通知之前,NYCHA居民可以自行证明其收入损失。这意味着目前不需要通常需要提交临时重新认证的证明文件,例如工资单,雇主的来信和/或失业救济金的核实。
  • 现在,家庭可以通过电话联系客户联系中心(CCC)发出这些请求。 NYCHA CCC工作人员可以回答与针对COVID-19紧急状态而制定的“租金困难政策”相关的问题。住户可以打电话 718-707-7771 并选择选项5。
  • 租户保护有关受COVID-19影响的租户的信息资源,可在市长保护租户办公室的网页上找到: Information and Resources for NYC Tenants Impacted by COVID-19.


  • Clients can apply for emergency assistance grants as well as ongoing Cash Assistance through ACCESS HRA, but if you’re applying for rental assistance, it’s best for you to first apply for ERAP. To apply for Cash Assistance, a client does not need to apply for an emergency grant, but we do ask questions during the online application process in order to make sure that an emergency grant is not needed to ensure the financial security of the clients. Therefore, every ACCESS HRA Cash Assistance application starts with a series of emergency indicator questions.
  • 如前所述,以下是通过ACCESS HRA申请现金援助的说明。我们鼓励组织注册ACCESS HRA培训网络研讨会,以获取有关使用我们的在线工具的更多信息。请点击 这里 查看网络研讨会选项。
  • 要申请现金援助或一次性紧急赠款(一次性付款),客户将需要执行以下步骤:
  1. 访问 访问HRA 并登录
  2. 从首页上的菜单选项中选择“好处”链接
  3. 选择“启动新应用程序”
  4. Select the ‘Cash Assistance’ option on the ‘Select Application’ page
  5. 确定任何适用的紧急指示器,然后单击“下一步”
  6. 选择您想申请的福利类型:
    • 现金补助
    • 一口交易,或
    • 没有现金援助的儿童保育(CILOCA)
  7. 完成并提交申请
  8. 按照ACCESS HRA确认页面上的说明进行操作,并使用 ACCESS HRA移动应用.

拥有有效现金援助案的客户可以通过ACCESS HRA提交特殊的租金或公用事业拖欠赠款申请。要提交现金援助特别补助金请求,客户将需要:

  1. 访问 访问HRA 并登录
  2. 输入识别信息以“查找我的案”并链接到您的HRA案
  3. 在ACCESS HRA用户主页中选择“查看案例”
  4. 选择位于左侧的“请求特殊资助”
  5. 确定您要申请的特别补助金,完成申请并提交
  6. 按照确认中的说明进行操作,并使用 ACCESS HRA移动应用.

If you’re an NYLAG client and have specific questions about your case, contact your NYLAG attorney. If you need legal assistance, contact us for help.