Dedicated to social justice, NYLAG’s Immigrant Protection Unit (IPU) provides New York’s low-income immigrant communities with comprehensive legal services through consultation and direct representation. IPU assists individuals in securing or continuing lawful status in the United States through adjustment of status and other complex legal remedies that may be available to them. IPU also aims to facilitate family reunification through family-based immigrant petitions, humanitarian parole and other forms of relief. As one of the largest immigrant services providers in the State of New York, IPU educates immigrant communities about the dangers of fraudulent immigration law practitioners and other barriers to attaining citizenship. Through its comprehensive approach, IPU seeks to broaden and improve access to quality legal representation and address the social welfare needs of New York’s low-income immigrant community. Services include:
- Adjustment of status
- Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Self Petitions
- U-visas for crime victims
- Removal defense
- Public benefits and entitlements
Key to the City Events
Family Resource Day
Services & Resources for Immigrant Families
- Free immigration legal consultations by the New York Legal Assistance Group:
- Consultations for general immigration questions
- Help with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) applications and renewals
- Help with citizenship applications
- Legal screenings for recently arrived children, unaccompanied minors, and their families
- Screenings for the new program announced by President Obama (Deferred Action for Parents/DAPA)
- Passports, consular IDs
- Health, financial, and adult education information
- Parent guide for College Readiness: what you can do for your child’s education now!
- Information on IDNYC (NYC’s NEW municipal ID program)
Saturday, October 29, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
In partnership with the offices of Council Members Daniel Dromm & Julissa Ferreras-Copeland
Queens, NY – Location TBD
Saturday, November 19, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
In partnership with the office of Council Member Rafael Salamanca, Jr.
Bronx, NY – Location TBD